Well, here is Marilyn's Not So Shrunken Cardigan. I really, really, really love this. It is a piece that I will wear during the winter over long sleeves, in the spring when it is still cool out, and during the summer on cooler nights when I am out eating or at the movies (I always get cold in movie theaters). Because of the mix of silk/cotton/wool/rayon it is warm but not too warm. Perfect for all seasons where I live.
I started knitting this in early September and it has traveled with me to all my kids activities because it is an easy knit - I didn't have to look at it as I was knitting it until I came to a marker and had to increase. Once the raglan increases were done I decided to concentrate on it and finish it quickly. I knitted the sleeves flat because you all know by now I have a strong aversion to DPN's. I tried them - got three rows done, tore it out and knit the sleeves flat. I would much rather seem up the sleeves than tangle with those DPN's. Someday, someday - I will get the hang of them. Once I dedicated myself to this sweater it flew off the needles.
Adjustments: I knit a garter hem on the bottom and on the sleeves rather than tacking them down. Mainly because I didn't feel like messing with tacking them down and also because I think I misread the instructions - basically, I knit the garter hem on accident and decided I liked it, kept it, and did the same for the sleeves. I knit the sleeves a bit shorter. They hit my elbows rather than fall just past them. I figured it would make the cardigan more versatile for spring and summer.
Changes I would have made: I would have knit the XS instead of the small and I would have added a few more waist decreases. It is quite roomy in the waist area. I realize it is made to be that way a bit but I think I should have taken it in a bit. I may decided to pull it in by sewing and cutting side seems, but that scares me. I do not want to ruin this. If any of you have any advice on doing that, please let me know. But for now, I am going to keep wearing it as is before I make a major adjustment. The bottom line is that I really love it - fit and all. What you can't see are the cute little buttons! They are pewter and flowered shaped and the curves of the flower enhance the ruffles on the cardigan.
This sweater, Chelsea, is currently flying on my needles. This pattern is in Yarnplay and when I first saw it, I immediatly loved it. It has a very simple construction but there were a few things I liked about it. First off, I liked how the bottom hem curls under. Normally sweaters feature a ribbing and this one didn't. I found that unique and I really liked the affect. Second, I love how the sleeves hang over the cuffs. I also loved the drop shoulder look. I don't have a sweater like that and so I find that look unique. Last but now least, I love how it is done in reverse Stockinette Stitch. Again - a unique thing to me. So, with all that summed up, I went and bought yarn from Sarah's Yarns. She had Artyarns Supermerino on sale and I snatched it up in color 105. Sarah then worked with me to find the the right shade of contrasting green to go with the sweater and special ordered it and added it to her own stock. I speak highly of her customer service. Use her if you can.
As I said, the construction of this sweater is simple and because it is just knit and purl the entire way through it is going very fast. What you see in the pic is the completed back (it is folded) and about two inches of the first sleeve ribbing. I decided to complete one sleeve first just to mix the project up a bit. I am not sure when I will have this done, but it is my main knitting project for now. I love the colors I choose, they are perfect for me. The orange was enticing but I couldn't find it for the right price.
One last note - I am designing a sweater for Camille and it is moving along well. I ran out of yarn so I had to order more. Once it is totally done, I will post on it. I have learned a lot in doing this. The biggest thing, is that what I originally had in mind is not what I am knitting up. I had to change things a bit as I started knitting to ensure it all flowed smoothly. I will explain more when I post on it.